Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sad Weekend

I found out on the weekend that the man that was beside me during my first chemo session passed away. I am extremely saddened by this. His name was Todd Pike, 41 years old with a wife, Amy and 2 young boys, 6 and 8. Over the past 5 months I have thought of him often and was worried about him - I am not sure why - it is likely because that day was so significant for me that the memory of Todd and his wife was very strong ... and now I can't stop thinking about them. I didn't really even talk with him - just his wife, but they left a strong impression. I could tell that they were in a big fight and were fighting hard. I could tell how much they loved one another - they way they spoke to one another, looked at one another an how she sat by him when he was sleeping. When I saw his pre-cancer picture recently (on the website below) I didn't even recognize him - he had lost, I would guess, at least 100 pounds.

They are doing a fundraiser this upcoming Friday to raise money for his two boys education...

http://www.intensemedia.tv/charity.html

Cancer sucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, it is Monday night and I have been away and just read your blog now.

I am very sorry for the loss of Todd. So young, and such a young family.

Yesterday was Brian's sister, Marilyn's BD. She would have been 56. She died at the age of 30 of luekemia. She was diagnosed just after our wedding. She fainted at our wedding and that is when they new something was wrong.

These are all sad things to think about and very scary when you too have your own battle.

I am not sure how you are feeling about Todd's death. I can see that he was an important part of your first visit to the chemo dept. Would you share that with his wife? I think she would love to here from you.

But if you are at all scared now because of this.............

Remember all the good news and good reports and good results.

Remember, more people live, than die!

You are a survivor! Just like me!!!!!!!

Love Kym