Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What a MUGA of a day!

I finally figured out how to enable people to subscribe to this via email - if you sign up to the right by entering your email address, you will receive an email whenever I update this blog.

I woke up pretty tired today, 7am, to get ready for my Gallium and MUGA scans. In the big scheme of things, that isn't that early, but I have been trying to stay up as late as possible for the past week so that diletta can sleep from 9pm until whenever Isabella needs food - which is usually around 1am. Anyways, I arrived at the diagnostic imaging department for registration at 8am and was told to go to the Nuclear Medicine department. The very nice nurse came out to get me to begin the process....and boy did I not have things right...I thought I was going for a Gallium scan and then the MUGA, which was to be followed by a follow up MUGA Thursday...NOPE.

She told me that I was to get 2 things today, the MUGA scan and an injection for the Gallium scan. This was to be followed by the Gallium scan in 48hrs...Friday. Ug. In addition, as per yesterday, I had decided that I was going to wait and get my Spinal Tap next week (instead of Friday at 9am because I wanted to be 100% for the weekend and without the proper precautions, there is a risk of a leak)...if you're confused...sorry... it went down like this:

I received an injection of a radioactive marker for the MUGA scan, to be followed up by another radioactive substance 15min later and then into the scanner. So, after the first injection, I went upstairs and outside to call the cancer center and tell them about the Gallium scan that I now had to have on Friday. As per the regular procedure, I left a message with the secretary (for every call that I make to the cancer center with a question for the nurse or doctor, the secretary takes a message and parlays it to them. Depending on the urgency, they call back quickly with an answer...). So I went back down to nuclear medicine and they ushered me into the scanning room. She injected me again and started the scan. They take three 'pictures' - each scan lasting about 10min each. It is kind of freeky as the scanner gets quite close to you. During the second scan, the nurse from the cancer canter called the nuclear medicine department and the nurses started asking me questions about what time was good for me to get the spinal (impressive how fast they move and get things done). So, they finished the scan and then injected me with the Gallium for Friday. I should start to keep track of the needles.

I then met Diletta at the Cancer Centre so that the nurses and Dr. Hamm could meet Isabella and so that we could straighten out my schedule. They loved Isabella, but who wouldn't, she might be the cutest baby on the planet (thanks to Diletta).

Dr. Runge-Morris had actually just called Dr. Hamm to discuss my case. Dr. Hamm told me that there were really no differences with what the Windsor and Detroit doctors determined. I pretty much knew this but was happy to hear the confirmation. We quickly determined that I would have my spinal tap next week, rather than right after my Gallium Scan on Friday, and that they would call me to set the appointment up. Dr. Hamm thought that she might do do it just before I started Chemo on the Thursday - I didn't really like that idea, but thought that I would at least get the Wednesday off.....we'll see about that one.

Dil and I then went to my work, Costco and Best Buy with Isabella - our first real trip out of the house with Isabella...

When I got home, there were a few phone calls...

The cancer center called and had a spinal tap booked for me next Wednesday at 9:30am - so much for the day off. The nurse did reassure me that once all the testing was done things would change...

Dr. Runge-Morris called to discuss the conference call last night. Essentially, the group agreed with the pathology, that radiation would likely not outweigh the potential side effects of the radiation (due to location in the jaw bilaterally), that staging might dictate the number of cycles which will be dependent on the results of the tests, no additional tests are required and that there are no clinical trials that she is aware of. Also, we discussed a new drug for my throat (some anti-fungal meds). With regards to my materials, she told me that the slides would be delivered back to the hospital, the CDs of my CT scan and xray would be delivered to my home and that a copy her letter would be sent to me in the mail. Finally, she said that I could call her at any time if I had any more questions.

Again, I feel very comfortable with the course of action that is being taken and with Dr. Hamm and the fantastic nursing staff. If everyone doesn't already have a new perspective on the health care system (at least in my case) then you need to read all of my posts.

Finally, my mom and Grandma put a 1/2 page ad in the Cobourg Daily star announcing Isabella's Birth...My family is NOT excessive.

I don't have anything booked (for me) tomorrow...Say it with me:

Woooooooooooooooooo WWhhhoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!


Dora and Dave said...

We're saying it with you:

Woooooooooooooooooo WWhhhoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Joanne said...

I'm so sorry I missed your visit yesterday. The picture you posted of Isabella is absolutely beautiful! She is so sweet. Please bring her back when you can. I am thinking of all of you, constantly. Keep brave my friend.


Mark S. said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.
I’m sure, with all of your positive thoughts and attitude, that everything will work out just fine.
It’s nice to be able to real about your journey.
Isabella is beautiful.
We look forward to seeing all of you soon.