Sunday, October 19, 2008

3 Days Post Chemo 1

If anything, just a bit of an emotional day... still trying to wrap my head around the whole idea of having cancer. I really have no 'symptoms' other than those now created by drugs. A lot of drugs.

Anyways, I woke up with a headache and a crappy gut feeling, but not as nauseated. I took my steroids and other drugs, plus some Tylenol to get rid of the headache, relaxed for a bit, then took my drugs again around 1pm (as per scheduled). I felt pretty good, still crappy, but ok. Around 3pm I started to get feelings of numbness and tingling in my legs...not overwhelmingly, but still there...I kind of blew it off at first because I was walking around and driving...But it didn't go away - so I went home and read the lit on the drugs I was taking to see if this was a side effect..sure enough, it is common for the vincristine (part of CHOP) but is considered serious for Allopurinol and to call the doctor immediately if it happens...so, I called the Cancer Centre. I left a message for the on-call doctor to call me back, it happens to be my doctor this weekend, Dr. Hamm, and she called me back within 10mins. She already knew what was up and said that there is nothing I can do about it and not to worry, these are common for the Vincristine drugs that I am on - but wasn't sure about the other. She said that she will look it up and let me know if there is anything to worry about...but she is not worried. I am confident in her. 100%.

My stomach still feels weird and I have a constant headache - I guess similar to a hang over - so at least I've had experience with that (thanks James).

As for the emotional side of things....as my wife, Patrick and others have been guiding me on; I have to remember a few things. The obvious, Isabella, my wife, family and friends - I know you are all here with me. But, as for how I am thinking, I have to keep positive. The shark theory, keeping positive, praying, thinking, thoughts, relax, etc etc...all great advice and I learn something from each email, blog message, card, gift, visit, facebook note, group started, phone call, messenger message, dingleberry message and conversation. This is a struggle. And as two people just told me, the chemo will likely be the hardest part. Cancer will be gone, but the journey to beat it will be tough.

Thank you all!

Super

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, Wow! This blog is such an awesome thing that you are doing. In the midst of your struggle, people are tapping into your words and being inspired by your courage and honesty. What a hughely positive impact you are having on all the lives around you when you are experiencing some of your toughest days. Adversity exposes the true measure of a man - you have shown us that there is an inspirational leader inside you!! Hugs to Diletta for me. :) Debbie